I must not think bad thoughts
Blogging the rise of American Empire.

me
Back to Bad Thoughts

Monday, May 10, 2004

Army of Adults
Today's "The Connection" had a great program about military discipline, the war on terror and Abu Ghraib. Two of the guests are former military men, one the former Judge Advocate General of the Navy:

Reverberations of Abu Ghraib

I only heard the second half of the program so far. I think it is very insightful. But I would remark that we should not think of the soldiers who have been accused and are suspected of torture as children. The state executes men younger than them. The state executes men less intelligent than them. These soldiers are fully adult. Furthermore, additional training may have helped them to handle prisoners better, but they should have been able to distinguish right from wrong without that training or without an intensive reading of the Geneva Conventions. (The whole world knew what was wrong with their behavior without either.)

BTW, Bad Thoughts now has comments.

Posted by: Nathanael / 11:36 AM : (3) comments

3 Comments:

So, except for the "testing" comment - do I get the honor of the first comment?! Woo hoo :)

Anyway, I just wanted to say that I agree with you whole heartedly about the Abu Ghraib issue.

-Brdgt

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:33 PM  

Yes, you have the honor of the first official comment. I have been tinkering with updates to Blogger all morning, in between bouts of office hours and exam proctoring. Someday it will all look very nice. Someday.

By Blogger Nathanael, at 3:24 PM  

In high school, I didn?t get the chance to wrestle varsity sex by phone until
my senior year because I had an older brother who was better than me. sex by phone

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:03 AM  

Post a Comment