I must not think bad thoughts
Blogging the rise of American Empire.

me
Back to Bad Thoughts

Wednesday, May 14, 2003

I promised myself that I would not blog today. I could not resist at least a little.

Kirk to the Klingons: We come in peace!
Kirk to Sulu: Shoot to kill!!!

Yes, I ripped that off from Star Trekkin'. However, it fits the new US occupational policy on Iraqi looters. How long will it take for the cry to come out: "All he wanted was a loaf of bread to feed his family!" The occupational forces need to act like policemen rather than executioners (but they have inadequately prepared, as I have said below.) I was amused on Monday when the Defense department sent a letter to the UN saying that it was taking over vital policing functions by their rights under the Hague Conventions and the Geneva conventions. The administration is trying to rewrite these treaties. There are no rights that an occupying power can claim whenever it suits them. They are obligations that are pre-assigned to occupying authorities. They have no choice, they must be prepared to provide security.

Posted by: Nathanael / 1:57 PM : (0) comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment