I must not think bad thoughts
Blogging the rise of American Empire.

me
Back to Bad Thoughts

Wednesday, April 30, 2003

The shocking admissions:

1. Every week I watch an embarrassing program with my wife: American Idol. She likes to watch because, on the one hand, most of the singers really suck. They have no idea about how to sing tastefully, attempting complicated soul-style riffs that require them to reach the highest notes where there is little oxygen. On the other hand, she likes a particular singer (more on that later.)

2. Simon Cowell is right in almost everything he says. He has good pop sensibilities. Contemporary pop isn't my thing, but considering that it is the only music I know for some areas I must admit that I listen to some. (I can't think of cool garage bands from the post-Holly, pre- Brill Building period. Sorry.) He is right in his criticism. He is the only judge that consistently references the performances in his criticism. He proves that he knows what music sells, both in terms of voice and image.

3. Clay Aiken is really good. This was the hardest thing to admit. Lady "Stop obsessing over ‘bad thoughts'" started watching because she thought Clay was cute and vulnerable, and he reminded her of the singer from Spandau Ballet. I thought he had some talent. His voice had that quality of New Wave singers who liked Motown. But I was blown away by his performance last night. He hardly seemed like an amateur. He was dynamic in his movements, in his expressiveness, and he was tasteful in his singing. I don't think I ever enjoyed hearing "Build me up, Buttercup" before last night, and it stuck in my head until I went to bed. Some of the adulation he received was excessive: Paula Abdul and Neil Sedaka wanted to make a sandwich out of him. However, Clay has real musical skills, and he is developing a Tom Jones-style stage presence.

Posted by: Nathanael / 9:58 AM : (0) comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment